My Seven Steps to Being Single Again
Nothing about divorce is easy. But for me, help came in a wide variety of places. Below are a few pointers that helped me move forward in my journey.
- Pray and look for signs. Numbers became significant for me, which are considered an angelic number. Every time, 1’s appear in forms of 11,111or 1111, it gave me comfort, let me know my angels are with me. Signs are around us, all the time. We’re often too shut down to notice. When you see them again, you find deep comfort that everything’s going to be alright.
- Don't go it alone. You want to withdraw. You want to crawl under the covers and forget the world. But you must reach out and accept support. If it wasn’t for my friends, I would still be bedridden! Every one of them seemed to have their individual gifts to help me through this mind-blowing, heart-wrenching time.
- Rediscover home. I moved out of our family home into my family home. I was lucky to be able to make this happen, but for those who can't, change your space. Make it yours with some paint and new accent pieces. Takedown old artwork and replace it with something new and uplifting.
- 4. Do something for you and you only. I went to Jennifer Daniels Photography and had professional pictures taken. Jennifer and her staff made me feel so comfortable that it allowed me to express myself freely. I had a portrait taken that ironically now showcases our single girl ring. What I didn't realize until that moment was I needed to feel beautiful and sexy again. After that photoshoot, I felt good about myself. Thanks to Jennifer and her wonderful staff as they played a big part in me coming into my own.
- Get a pet. The unconditional love of a pet is like no other. Very powerful and healing. First I adopted my little pixie. Then, one was not enough Ha! I got another dog, a big one. He takes up my whole bed! They fill my life with joy!
- Heal your anxiety. The heartbreak felt too much to bear at first. I needed anxiety meds to help me get through the worst of it. But soon after, I wanted to stop the prescription. So, my close friend Alice Emerson had me try her hemp oil. It works magic for me! A complete game changer!
- Go on a trip. You have to wake up to the world again. Nothing kickstarts this process more than travel. I went on a "bike and barge" where I biked from Bruges to Amsterdam. (It’s a lot less money when you're only paying for one!) I went with my aunt who is my BFF. The world seemed like a wide-open place where I could rediscover myself again.
These are some actions I took, that worked, in gaining my life back. Be nice to yourself. Do things for yourself! Show yourself “Self Love.”